Monday 16 July 2007

22nd June:

Well, I make it T-Minus 13 Days and counting. In an unusual twist to the usual preparatory measures one normally undertakes in the run up to a trip like this I have, in fact, taken the unusual decision to crash my bike a mere three weeks prior to departure. Well a journey isn't an adventure without a challenge thrown in for seasoning is it? For the record; the crash was not my fault.

It does mean that, not only have I limited time for all the other little pre Stella touches that I wanted to add to the bike, but I also have to find the time to source new faring, brake pedal, boots, gloves and trousers (mine partially shredded on impact and the rest were cut off in the ambulance). Add to that off course the whole replacing them on the bike and, off course, healing myself in general. My knee is pretty bashed up but I'm remaining optimistic (naive – delete as appropriate). Luckily, my brilliant wife has already bought me some BRILLIANT new boots, gloves and trousers. We have also already sourced the parts and Sarah is picking them up as I write. Looks like I'll have a pretty busy Saturday – expect much sweating, cursing and possibly the odd tantrum.

It may just be me but, regardless of the fact that we're only going for a week, I feel significantly less prepared for this trip than I did for our mammoth Transmed Enduro trip of last year. To date, we are yet to all ride together. Obviously, me, Baz and Paul managed our nautical excursion to Croyde (a trip so wet that everything electrical went fizz and I managed to soak a toe nail off!) but Simon unfortunately could not join us and remains somewhat of a unknown entity with regards to his riding. I've been away with Simon before and I have no doubts about his amiable qualities but other than a couple of four mile trips between his house and Casa de la Baz (AKA Stella HQ) I have no idea what the dynamics of four of us riding together will be. We're due to ride out this Sunday (providing I can get the bike back together and bend my knee onto the XT) so I'm sure we'll know soon enough. It'll be another chance to test the comms again... with a little luck it may be dry and they won't frizz again. When they worked it did add a brilliant and comical edge to the ride.

Things to do: Replace brake pedal and faring, straighten up all levers and brush guards etc., adapt the rear luggage rack to fit with the pannier racks, fit crash bars (bit bloody late now you may suggest!), fit 12v Socket and fit new Avon Distanzias.

Wish me luck!

No comments: